Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Story of A Photograph: Highway To Hope

Highway To Hope - Mojave, California
Photography is about being in the right place at the right time with photographic vision and a camera (any camera). 

I was traveling down "the back road" between Tehachapi (where I live) and Lancaster in California one morning in December of 2014. It was cloudy with scattered showers. Just as I was approaching the foothills of the Tehachapi Mountains the clouds began to break and the sun peeked through. Suddenly there was a large rainbow in front of me, arching across the road.

I didn't have my DSLR, but I did have my Nokia Lumia 1020. I always have this camera with me because it is also my cell phone.

There was a wide spot in the road so I pulled over and parked the car. There was a car behind me and I waited until it disappeared around the bend before opening the shutter.

A picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes, and there are plenty of metaphors in this one. It starts with the rainbow, which can be a symbol of hope. You've got the rain falling on the dry, parched land. You've got the storm contrasted with the clearing sky and bright contrasted with shadow. There is the warm light from the morning sunrise bringing a fresh start. Even the wind turbines can be a symbol of hope to some people. And finally there is the hope of a new journey as you traverse out of the harsh desert.

I did very little post-processing to this image. I darkened the shadows a hair and messed with the saturation a little (reducing the yellow and increasing everything else). The out-of-camera JPEG was already close to what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment