Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Sunset In June

A Sunset In June - Stallion Springs, California
Nikon D3300, f5.6, 1/160, ISO 100, Nikkor 40mm, 8:20 PM.
Back on June 28th there was an amazing sunset the graced the central California sky. It lasted only a few minutes, but the show was nothing less than spectacular. The sky was like fire. The glow painted everything in a soft, warm tone. It was truly breathtaking!

I was at home, watching the clouds change color out of my dining room window. I sensed that the sunset might be a good one, but you never know, so I watched and waited. Finally I decided that this one wasn't going to disappoint, so I grabbed my Nikon D3300 DSLR, which had a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro lens attached to it, and headed out the door to the front yard. I also grabbed a Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens because I wanted to capture some images with it for an upcoming review.

Everyone else in the house followed me outside to view the brilliant site. After capturing the sunset itself, I switched lenses and captured a few exposures of my three kids. They love to have their picture taken, and I love to take pictures, so it works out pretty well.

It's amazing to me how much the tone of the sunset glow changed in less than two minutes. That's the thing about sunrises and sunsets--the light changes extraordinarily fast. If you see a light that's excellent, you've got to act fast because it will be different in just a short moment. Or, if the light isn't excellent, wait just a short moment and it might turn great. As the saying goes, "Never give up on a sunset."
Dusk Girl - Stallion Springs, CaliforniaNikon D3300, f5.6, 1/125, ISO 2500, Nikkor 18-55mm at 55mm, 8:21 PM.
Little Dusk Boy - Stallion Springs, CaliforniaNikon D3300, f5.6, 1/125, ISO 3200, Nikkor 18-55mm at 55mm, 8:21 PM.
Dusk Boy - Stallion Springs, California
Nikon D3300, f5.6, 1/125, ISO 3200, Nikkor 18-55mm at 55mm, 8:22 PM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment