Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Love of The Image

On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
I got an encouraging e-mail from one of the followers of the Roesch Photography Blog, and one thing that was said is that he can see a "love of the image" in my photographs. That comment struck me and I've been thinking about it for a couple of days now.

The first time that I can remember a love for an image was when I was a kid and I saw Richard Steinheimer's Armageddon And Creation. The photograph is simple enough, yet it is incredibly dramatic. It's visually striking and speaks to the viewer. It has a story to tell. I stared at this photograph for some time when I first saw it.
Armageddon And Creation by Richard Steinheimer
The first time that I can remember a love for one of my own images is when I was in college taking a photography class. As part of that class I was doing a project on a local airport. I captured an image inside of the FBO of a model airplane hanging from the ceiling. The wall was striped with the light and shadow from a window, and the model airplane made a shadow on the wall that matched it's look. At first glance it appeared as though there were two airplanes in the photograph.

Unfortunately, the print I made of that photograph was stolen nearly a decade-and-a-half ago. The negative disappeared years ago, too, after one of many moves. The image is still in my mind, and perhaps always will be.

My pursuit as a photographer is to create images that I love. I want to create photographs that are worthy of this. That requires photographic vision and a critical eye. It takes a lot of failures before creating any successes. I must follow my heart and create simply because I have a deep-inside need to create. And I must be creative in order to create.
Sunset At Morro Rock - Morro Bay, California
I do have a love of the image. But not all images, just the ones that are good enough to deserve it. There are a lot more that I don't love than ones that I do. Most of my photographs are mediocre. It's rare that I create a great photograph--I think that's true for all photographers. It's a really good year if I can create one truly good photograph per month.

The more that I photograph the better I become at creating photographs. I gain the experience to know what works and what doesn't. I know better how my gear interacts with light. I understand what it is that I want to create and have the confidence to know how to make it happen.

I might feel different tomorrow about the images that I love today. Photography is a journey, and there is so much growth that happens along the way. I have yet to create my best photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment