Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Always Bring A Camera With You

Colorful Umbrellas - Pasadena, California
Back in July I went to a flea market in Pasadena, California at the Rose Bowl. It's not a place that I'd typically want to visit. But my wife really wanted to go and she convinced me that I'd appreciate it, too. After all, there would be vendors selling old cameras.

I like to bring a camera whenever I go places, so I had with me a Nikon D3300 DSLR with a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro lens attached. This is a light setup that provides excellent image quality.

The place was very packed. I didn't expect there to be such a large crowd! There were tons of vendors and it was a bit overwhelming. We had a mission--we were looking for some specific things--so we pressed on through the crowds.
The Crazy Violinist - Pasadena, California
I imagine that a place like this could be great for street photography. I occasionally dabble in that genre, but not often, so I probably failed to capture all of the photographs that I should have. I did manage to capture the two that you see in this post, which I thought turned out well.

The violinist--which I'm not sure if a violin is even what he was playing because sometimes it sounded like a cello and sometimes like a violin and sometimes like something else entirely--was a character. He seemed to increase the intensity of his performance while I was photographing him. The umbrellas in the top image were difficult to photograph because several people were looking at them and otherwise getting in the way of what I was trying to do. Luckily there was a brief moment where I was able to capture the image you see at the top.

We stayed for a couple of hours, finding several neat decor pieces for the house. I didn't buy any gear because nothing stood out to me as something that I really wanted (at least not for the price that they were asking). Still, because I had a camera with me, I was able to grab a couple of memorable images, and that's better than gear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment