Saturday, November 7, 2015

Cacti

Monochrome Cacti - Pasadena, California
I used to live in Arizona. I moved to California about four years ago. Cacti is a common part of the natural landscape in both locations. I see different varieties of the spiky plants every day.

But I don't often photograph them. Every once in awhile I'll capture a cactus--typically months go by between cacti images. It's not a common subject for me, despite the opportunities.

I shared on Wednesday my photographs from a trip to Pasadena, California; however, I didn't include all of the images from that excursion. I captured three images within a 50 second time span that didn't fit into the style of that post. What was the subject of those three photographs? Some cacti that were a part of the landscape at the Pasadena Community College.
Tall Cactus - Pasadena, California
There was nothing special about these cacti, other than they caught my photographic eye. The midday lighting wasn't great. The location wasn't anything special. It's the photographer's job to make something interesting out of the mundane by isolating the subject in a way that others are not seeing.

I gave two of the images a black-and-white treatment in post processing to highlight the light contrast. Monochrome Cacti (at the top) was made to look like it had been captured using pushed Tri-X and a red filter. Monochrome Cacti Contrast (below) has more of an infrared look. Tall Cactus was made to look like it had been captured with a vibrant slide film like Ektachrome 100VS.

A Sony RX100 II was used for these photographs. I post-processed them using Phase One Capture One Express and Alien Skin Exposure 7
Monochrome Cacti Contrast - Pasadena, California

No comments:

Post a Comment