Tuesday, January 5, 2016

News: Nikon Announces D5 and D500 DSLRs (I Yawn)

Nikon just announced two new DSLRs: the D5 and D500. One is full frame and one is APS-C. Both have a 20-megapixel sensor. Both are chalked full of features, most that will hardly get used. They are both way overpriced.

I yawn. I really could care less.

Photography is never about gear. New cameras will not make you a better photographer.

These cameras are I'm sure very good, but they aren't really any different than other cameras that cost less. Nikon changes a couple of minor things, slaps a new name on the body, and makes bundles of money off photographers that just have to buy the latest thing.

You are better off buying a camera that was released two or three years ago. It will be just as good, but it will cost you much less. Or move down a level--get the D610 for half the cost of the D5, get the D7200 for half the cost of the D500.

Or be really radical and don't own a DSLR at all. Try a camera that's smaller and lighter. That's what I did, and I'm very happy with that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment