Tuesday, January 19, 2016

When You Are Not Known For What You Want To Be Known For

Sadly, this is the photograph that I'm most known for.
The Roesch Photography Blog is nearly five years old. An interesting thing that I have discovered over that time is that my best posts and my best photographs are often ignored, while my worst posts and my worst images are what receive the most attention.

Far and away my most popular post, viewed by nearly three times as many people as my second most popular post, is Easy DIY Lens Hood, published on November 10, 2012. It's a very short article, and it's a bit ridiculous. I took the coffee sleeve off of my latte and placed it on the lens of my camera to create a super cheep lens hood.

This post has been seen by so many people. I went on Pinterest yesterday and saw that someone had pinned it there, which is something I've noticed several times before. There are probably a dozen blog posts by other photographers that have linked to my article. Week in and week out it gets the most views here.

When I published the article I had no idea that it would be so popular. I think if I had known just how much attention that it would receive I'd have done a better job with it. The photographs in the article are not my best by a long shot and I've certainly articulated thoughts better, as well.

It bothers me that this is what I'm most known for. It bothers me when crummy images that I knew weren't great when I uploaded them (but I shared them anyway) get a bunch of likes or stars or attention and photographs that I know are great get completely ignored. It bothers me when I look at photographs or blog posts of mine that I thought were good three years ago but now I realize they were not good--I get embarrassed.
Red Chairs - Cambria, California
This is one of my favorite images, but it hasn't received much attention.
A mistake that I made with the internet--with this blog and with social media--is that I shared too much. I published subpar photographs and articles. If I didn't want to be known as the coffee sleeve guy I shouldn't have published that post. If I didn't want people to see my crummy photographs I should never has shown those to anyone. It's my fault.

I can't change the past. I can't go back and undo what I've already published and shared. I can only control what goes out from today forward. The only thing that I can do is publish articles and photographs that I do want to be known for.

I hope the Roesch Photography Blog will be known as a quality resource for photographers. I hope that the reputation of this blog is good. It starts with the quality of content that I publish. It's up to me.

No one has ever asked me if the coffee sleeve lens hood thing actually works. It does, but it all depends on the angle that the sun is to the lens. Commercially made lens hoods are probably more effective, and they look better, too. But with multi-coated lenses that are common now, it's difficult to get lens flare, even with the lens pointed right at the sun. So none of this really matters.

Here's a better how-to post of mine that didn't receive hardly any attention: How To Easily Make Vintage Looking Photographs Using A Plastic Sandwich Ziplock Bag. It even includes a video. But that post might not be great because it's possible to achieve a similar look with the right software and a few clicks. Oh, well. Maybe that's just the way things go.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's such a popular post because it's a photographer life hack that the common household photographer can do! Especially those that drink coffee 😉 I appreciate your blog (the good and the bad); I usually learn something new. Keep it up, I enjoy the info shared and the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Sarah! It's always encouraging to hear that what I post is helpful to others. --Ritchie Roesch

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain.

    I truly appreciate your posts over anything Fstoppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks. Fstoppers is very popular, so that is a big compliment. I appreciate the encouragement! --Ritchie Roesch

      Delete