Saturday, February 6, 2016

Commuting: Part 6 - Cummings Valley In Monochrome

Sun Rays Over Cummings Mountain - Tehachapi, California
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

In the first three parts of my Commuting series I took you on a 70 mile journey from my home in Stallion Springs, California to my "day job" in Palmdale. The last three parts are my journey home. The first half of this series is in color and the second half is in black-and-white.

This was my five-days-per-week (sometimes six) routine for over two-and-a-half years. Recently this commute was made shorter with a move, and in a few months I'll be moving to Salt Lake City--I might not ever drive this route again.

This post is the conclusion of the series. It's the final leg of the drive. I've made it through the desert and up the mountain. This is the last twenty minutes until home.

My hope with the Commuting series is that it inspires those who don't think that they have time for photography to reconsider. It doesn't matter that you are not a full-time photographer. It makes no difference if you've got a long commute to work. You can use your drive to work as a photographic opportunity. Many of my favorite images were captured while commuting.

Excuses are easy. Anyone can make up reasons why they can't do something. Don't paralyze yourself with excuses. Find a way to accomplish whatever it is that you want to accomplish. If you want to be a photographer you cannot let excuses stop you. Find a way--make the time--to actively photograph, even when it's not convenient to do so.

If I had let excuses stop me (and I did for several years), I wouldn't have captured these images. The photographs in this post and in the entire series wouldn't exist. I'm glad that I brought a camera with me. I'm glad that I pulled off the road and captured some images. Over time it added up to this six-part series. A little photography here and there can eventually become something much bigger.
Shawn Miller - Tehachapi, California
Infrared Oak - Tehachapi, California
Tree In Snow And Fog - Tehachapi, California
White, Fence - Tehachapi, California
No Trespassing - Tehachapi, California
Horse In The Rain - Tehachapi, California
Cummings Mountain Afternoon - Tehachapi, California
The Cross At The Corner - Tehachapi, California
Cross To Bear - Tehachapi, California
Curves - Tehachapi, California
Sagebrush - Stallion Springs, California
Building Storm - Stallion Springs, California 
Glimpses of Light - Stallion Springs, California
Life Is Too Short - Stallion Springs, California
Two Elk Enjoying Breakfast - Stallion Springs, California
Solitary Elk - Stallion Springs, California
Snow Burst - Stallion Springs, California

No comments:

Post a Comment