Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Dream Camera

Desert Storm - Rosamond, California
ISO 160, f/4.9, 1/800, 100mm, Sony RX100 II.
Since I have a photography blog I get asked all sorts of photography related questions. One recent question was, "If you invented your dream camera what would it be?"

This is, obviously, a silly question. I'm not an engineer. I know nothing about electronics. I've never invented anything and I'm not likely going to invent a dream camera ever.

However, it did make me think that if I were ever consulted by a camera manufacturer what might I suggest. What would I want in a "dream" camera?

First, it would have to be pocketable. The smaller and lighter the better. That's why I use a Sony RX100 II. Because it's easy to carry around I actually have it with me when I need it. Being in the right place at the right time with a camera is half the battle. I've missed plenty of photographs because I didn't have a camera with me, so I like gear that's no big deal to carry around.

Second, it needs to be versatile. If the lens is fixed it better have a good focal-length range (maybe 18mm-150mm, if that's even possible in such a small package), otherwise it should be able to interchange lenses. It should have great image stabilization. It should be all-around quick. It should have a usable ISO of at least 3200.
Obscured By Sadness - Tehachapi, California
ISO 160, f/2.8, 1/400, 28mm, Sony RX100 II.
Next, the lens (or lenses) needs to be nothing short of fantastic. I should be able to get tack-sharp images with minimal distortions and chromatic aberrations, and have a large maximum aperture.

Also, I'd like to see a stacked sensor like Sigma's Foveon sensor, just without all of the quirks. I understand Canon will be releasing a camera with a stacked sensor soon, so I'm curious if they were able to accomplish this. There should be resolution equivalent to at least 24 megapixels in a bayer sensor. Dynamic range should be darn good.

It should go without saying, but I'll add it here, that the design of the camera should be functional and thoughtful. It seems like every camera has something about the design that leaves you scratching your head. Maybe the designers will get it right on my dream camera.

Finally, the camera should be reasonably priced. I don't want to spend more than a grand if I don't have to.

The perfect camera doesn't exist and will most likely never exist. Every camera has flaws. It's good to look past the problems that your gear has and just use it to the best of your ability. A lot of people chase the "perfect" camera and are constantly buying new gear and are constantly disappointed. Don't be one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment