Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Joy's Downtown Photo Walk - Photographs By An 8 Year Old Girl

Today's Girl Photographer - Barstow, California
Last year I published If You Give Your Kids A Camera showing photographs captured by my (then) seven-year-old daughter and five-year-old son. Whenever I allow them to use one of my cameras I'm always inspired by the results. They are so creative and look at the world completely different than I do.

A couple of days ago I had some one-on-one time with my eight-year-old daughter, Joy, and as part of that we did a photo walk around downtown Tehachapi, California. It's a small downtown, but there are plenty of photographic opportunities.

I let her borrow my Sony RX100 II. It's a good size camera for her. I've let her use a DSLR before, but it was a struggle because of how heavy and bulky it was. I gave her a quick tutorial on how to operate the Sony camera and off she went. She used it in aperture-priority mode.

We walked around and she photographed many things. The streets were quiet. I pointed out a few potential images, but mostly she "discovered" the subjects on her own.

Joy post-processed the photographs using Alien Skin Exposure 7. The software is easy enough that even an eight-year-old has no problems using it! She messed with curves and wasn't afraid to do some extensive editing. She did it all on her own. I had showed her before (nearly a year ago) how to use the software and she remembered how. I offered some help but she told me that she didn't need any help, that she could do it herself. That's Joy!

Below are 10 photographs that she created from that downtown photo walk.
Cafe Sign - Tehachapi, California
Lucky - Tehachapi, California
Good Friday Flags - Tehachapi, California
The Blue Sign - Tehachapi, California
Number 12 - Tehachapi, California
A Nice Day To Be Walking - Tehachapi, California
South Green Street - Tehachapi, California
Old Wagon Wheel - Tehachapi, California
The Stockyard - Tehachapi, California
Inside The Abandoned Bank - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment