Thursday, June 16, 2016

Wildlife Photography ...At Cabela's

Bear On A Rocky Cliff - Farmington, Utah
I like to occasionally explore genres of photography that I don't normally shoot. One genre that I haven't done a lot of is wildlife photography.

Every now and then I have photographed wildlife. I've captured some birds and elk and such. But these type of images are few and far between.

Recently I had the opportunity to photograph a bear, a fox and a coyote. This is wilder wildlife than I have captured in the past! What might be unexpected is that I never left the city to make these pictures.

You see, I visited a Cabela's store. They have taxidermy animals staged throughout the store. This gave me the opportunity to photograph animals that I otherwise wouldn't.

Is this cheating? Yes and no. It's cheating because it is fake--you can probably tell that by looking closely. It's not cheating because photography is whatever you want it to be. There are no rules (or, the "rules" that exist should be ignored). If I want to photograph taxidermy animals posed as live animals, I can. It's my art.

I think it would be great to head out into the forest with a camera to photograph real wildlife. But that's not practical for me right now. Maybe someday. For now, I'm happy with the faux wildlife pictures I captured at Cabela's.

I photographed these using my new LG G4 cell phone, editing the RAW files using Snapseed.
Fox In The Mountains - Farmington, Utah
Sneaky Coyote - Farmington, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment