Wednesday, July 6, 2016

eBay Is Frustrating


So this is how it went down.

I purchased the camera on eBay from a highly experienced seller with over 99% positive reviews. This is as safe a bet as you can find on eBay (eBay is always a risk, but you try to minimize the risk as much as possible). The listing said that the item usually ships within one business day after purchase. Two business days went by and I had not received a message saying that the camera had shipped.

Three days after the purchase I sent a message to the seller trying to figure out the problem. The next day he replies that he is looking into the matter. Two days later I message him back, asking if he ever figured out the problem. Within an hour of sending that message the sale is cancelled by the seller, my money refunded, and the only explanation I'm given is that he doesn't have the camera in stock.

How do you list something on eBay (complete with pictures of the item) if you don't have it? My guess is that the seller sold the item to someone else outside of eBay.

The seller wasted a bunch of my time. He held my money for nearly a week, and PayPal can hold onto the refund for up to 30 days (which is absurdly ridiculous and should be criminal). What a jerk! I will never buy from him again.

So now I'm purchasing a different X-E1 (with the 18-55mm lens). This one is not brand-new still-in-the-box. Supposedly, according to the seller, it was an open box item from a camera store in Japan, used as a display, that's been handled but never turned on (the batteries have never been charged and, in fact, are in the original plastic bag unopened). It's brand-new but, because it's been opened, is listed as used but in immaculate like-new condition. I don't know how much of that story is true, but the seller claims a 14 day money-back guarantee and a six-month warranty, which reduces the risk considerably.

Oh, and I paid $580 for it, which, if it turns out to be in the condition listed, is a great bargain! Hopefully this time things work out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment