Thursday, August 4, 2016

A "Better" Classic Chrome Film Simulation - Fujifilm X-E1

Phone Conversation - Salt Lake City, Utah
This is my version of "Classic Chrome" for the Fujifilm X-E1.
The Fujifilm X-E1 has fantastic out-of-camera JPEGs. One reason for this is Fuji's excellent Film Simulation presets, which (to some degree) mimic the look of different films.

One Film Simulation preset that Fuji never included on the X-E1 or X-Pro1 is Classic Chrome, which is one of the more popular options on their X-Trans cameras. Many photographers love the look of Classic Chrome, which is supposed to resemble classic slide films like Kodachrome.

Some X-E1 and X-Pro1 users have created custom JPEG settings that closely approximate Classic Chrome. I copied someone's settings and wasn't completely satisfied with the results. The recipe was Provia Film Simulation, dynamic range set to 200, low saturation, medium-soft highlights, medium-hard shadows, medium-soft sharpness, medium-weak noise reduction, white balance fine tuned to -2 blue and +2 red.
Wasatch In Kodachrome - South Ogden, Utah
My first Classic Chrome attempt.
I thought I was close but not quite there with these settings, so I played around some more and found a better recipe. I'm not sure how accurate it is to the Classic Chrome Film Simulation found on Fuji's other cameras, but it looks good to me. It definitely reminds me of Kodachrome, and it looks especially good for pictures of people. 

My "better" Classic Chrome for the X-E1 is Provia Film Simulation, dynamic range set to 400, medium-low saturation (occasionally increased in certain situations), normal highlights (sometimes medium-soft highlights in high-contrast situations), normal shadows, normal sharpness, medium-weak noise reduction, white balance fine tuned to -2 blue and +2 red. It's a similar recipe, but the outcome is noticeably better in my opinion.

Here are some out-of-camera JPEG examples of my own "Classic Chrome" Film Simulation:
Urban Bird Watching - Salt Lake City, Utah
Salt Lake City Buildingscape - Salt Lake City, Utah
Grow Inside - Salt Lake City, Utah
At The Vast Salt Lake - Antelope Island State Park, Utah
Red Buffalo & The Great Salt Lake - Antelope Island State Park, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment