Friday, August 5, 2016

Double Exposure Fun

I Am Nature - Ogden Canyon, Utah
I really like multiple exposure photography. It challenges how you view light. You have to think harder about composition and the concept of the image. It's abstract in nature.

I'm no stranger to this type of photography. I've done it with film. I've done it in-camera with digital cameras. I've done it by combining images with software. There are different ways to do it, and I've tried many of them.

The Fujifim X-E1 that I recently purchased has the capability to create double exposures in-camera. My previous experience creating in-camera double exposures with digital cameras is that they look ok out-of-camera, but need a lot of work to make them shine. If you're going to significantly post-process the out-of-camera JPEGs, you might as well use the RAW files and combine exposures together with software. That, of course, takes time.
Thoughts As Tall As Mountains - Ogden Canyon, Utah
But creating double exposures in-camera with the X-E1 is a different experience. First, because the out-of-camera JPEGs look good, the double exposure images don't need post-processing. Second, while you are creating the double exposure, the camera shows the first image in the electronic viewfinder along with the live view, so you can see exactly what the picture will look like.

In other words, creating good double exposures with the Fuji X-E1 is much easier than with other digital cameras. If this is something that you're into or have thought about trying, the X-E1 (or other Fuji X-Trans cameras) is something that you'll want to consider.

The double exposure images in this post were all created in-camera using my X-E1. They received no post-processing. They're not all great (that's due to my lack of creativity), but they were simple to create.
Born To Explore - Ogden Canyon, Utah
Thinking Green - South Weber, Utah
The Changing Season - South Weber, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment