Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sometimes Photography Opportunities Come To You

Trees & Rainbow - South Weber, Utah
Photography is about being in the right place at the right time with photographic vision. That often means travelling (sometimes really far) to the "right place" in order to be there at the "right time" to capture interesting images. But not always.

Sometimes photography opportunities come to you. You don't have to go anywhere because you are already right where you need to be.

One evening earlier this month I was in my front yard with my kids. They were playing and I was keeping an eye on them. I was also watching a summer thunderstorm approach.

My front yard doesn't offer any interesting views. I'm in a pretty standard suburban neighborhood, and mostly all you see are other people's houses. There is very little of anything that I'd consider photo worthy in my front yard.
Sunset Rain - South Weber, Utah
But this approaching storm, coupled with a sunset, was bringing some great light drama. Very quickly the ordinary sights were becoming extraordinary. I quickly grabbed my camera--a Fujifilm X-E1--and began capturing images.

It was still very difficult to compose interesting photographs, even with some amazing light and color happening. I did the best that I could with what I had to work with. That's all you can do. I think I managed a few good pictures.

Just as the show was ending some rain began to fall on us, so we headed inside. That's when we noticed that the backyard was looking good. So we sat on our back porch and watched. My backyard view, which shows the Wasatch Mountains and Weber Canyon, is far superior to the front yard view.

The clouds to the east were showing the sunset colors. The mountains were red from the last sunset light. Very quickly it was gone. I stayed outside, putting my camera on a tripod, and captured the moving clouds. Soon it was getting dark so we went back inside.

I didn't have to go anywhere. Everything unfolded in front of me right at my house. All I had to do was grab my camera. These opportunities are rare, and I'm glad I was able to capture it.
Basketball Hoop Sunset - South Weber, Utah
South Weber Sunset - South Weber, Utah
Umbrella Girl - South Weber, Utah
Weber Canyon Sunset - South Weber, Utah
Moving Sky #1 - South Weber, Utah
Moving Sky #2 - South Weber, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment