Saturday, November 19, 2016

Inspiration & Photography & Blogs

Photography Is A Drug - Tehachapi, California
A triple exposure photograph.
You've probably noticed that I've published very little on the Roesch Photography Blog over the last month. I've been feeling uninspired lately, going through a bit of a funk.

I've been doing this blog for almost six years now. I've covered a ton of topics. I've said so much. I've repeated myself a number of times. It's not always easy to come up with original content.

Besides that, I'm compensated very, very little for the time and effort I put into this. Nobody pays me for what I write. You may have noticed a few small advertisements on this page--if you click on those and spend money I get a tiny cut. It doesn't even average a dollar an hour.
I Am Nature - Ogden Canyon, Utah
A double exposure photograph.
The purpose of this blog is not money, but sometimes I do wish that I was compensated more for what I do here. Because I could be doing other things. It was kind of nice doing other things instead of blogging during the last several weeks.

Still, I have my reasons for keeping this blog going, and much of that is you, the readers. Some of you have been following the Roesch Photography Blog for years. Thank you so much!

I've also felt uninspired in my photography. I think that a lot of my "typical" photographs aren't good enough. I want to capture better images, not ordinary pictures. I haven't picked up my camera much in the last month (yes, a little here and there, but not nearly as much as usual). I'm tired of making a bunch of mediocre photographs with the occasional good one. I want to create things that I'm more proud of.

It's easy to say that, but much harder to do. Especially when you are not feeling inspired. This is a make or break moment! I could easily quit altogether. But I choose instead to move forward. To try harder. To be more creative.
Dormant Trees In A Jar - South Weber, Utah
A double exposure photograph.
I'm starting a new photography project. I captured one "test" image (Dormant Trees In A Jar) to make sure that I could do it. Now I'm waiting for something to arrive in the mail so that I can actually begin. It has to do with double-exposure photography (which I love but have had trouble coming up with interesting ways to execute it without being cliche).

I'm actually stealing the idea from photographer Christoffer Relander. My intentions are not to copy his work, but to add my own twist to create something similar to what he's doing, yet different and unique to me.

So stay tuned! Once I get the things I need, I plan to concentrate on this project and spend the next several months making the images that I see in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment