Friday, December 30, 2016

Project: Preserved - Double Exposure Photography Using Jars

Preserved Oil - North Salt Lake, Utah
I mentioned in my last post that I was beginning a new photography series called Project: Preserved. I'm using double-exposure photography to capture images inside of jars. This post contains my first photographs in this series. 

The process is simple, yet it's not. I paint the inside of jars black, then, using a small portable studio, photograph them with a white background. Next, (using an in-camera feature on my Fuji X-E1) I make a second exposure, which shows up in the dark part of the jars. I polish the double exposure images using Alien Skin Exposure X to get finished photographs.

The idea behind Project: Preserved is to capture images that show places, people or objects for future generations to view--a preserved time-capsule of sorts. Think of old photographs that show what it was like at someplace and at sometime in the past. But I want to do this in a creative, artistic way, and not snapshots. I want to create photographs that have artistic and (with time) historical value.

In a way this is urban/industrial/street photography in jars. The photographs in this post are my very first attempts. I've learned plenty with regards to what works and what doesn't, and I have a few ideas to try. This is just the beginning, and there will be lots more photographs to come. I hope you enjoy this series as much as I love creating it!
Preserving The Library Stairs - Salt Lake City, Utah
Preserving An Afternoon Downtown - Salt Lake City, Utah
Big Lots of Preserved Trash - Salt Lake City, Utah
A Homeless Pigeon Preserved - Salt Lake City, Utah
Preserved Steam Wheel - Ogden, Utah
Child Labor Preserved - Ogden, Utah
A Conversation Preserved On 25th Street - Ogden, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment