Wednesday, January 4, 2017

My Christmas Gift: Zenit E SLR with Helios 44-2 Lens

Zenit E with Helios 44-2 lens
My wife got me a great Christmas gift. It came all the way from Ukraine, so it arrived a little late. But it was totally worth the wait!

A couple months ago when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her a Helios 44-2 lens for my Fujifilm X-E1. It's a lot of fun putting classic lenses on this camera because it turns it into a manual experience, much like what I did for many years in the film era. Besides, these old lenses have more character than finely-tuned modern lenses. The Helios 44-2 is known for its swirly bokeh.
Zenit E & FED 5c
She went a step above just buying the lens. She bought a Zenit E SLR with the Helios lens attached to the front. She got me a vintage 1970's Russian SLR! I've had my eye on this particular camera for several years, but either the seller wanted too much for it or it wasn't in great shape.

The Zenit E that my wife purchased is in great shape and seems to be in perfect working condition. It's very clean and doesn't show its age much at all. Well done!
Grass In The Snow - South Weber, Utah
Captured using a Fujifilm X-E1 with a Helios 44-2 lens.
I haven't had the chance to put a roll of 35mm film into the camera yet. I plan to soon! Maybe this coming weekend. As soon as I capture some images and get the film back from the lab, I'll be sure to share the photographs here.

I did attach the lens to my X-E1 (using an adapter) and snapped a couple of pictures from my yard. It worked! I look forward to making more digital images using the old glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment