Monday, May 1, 2017

iPhone 7 Plus Sample Image - Or, You Don't Even Need A Camera

Store Hours - Layton, Utah
I went to my local AT&T store today to help my mother-in-law with an issue with her phone. While there (because I had to wait awhile) I looked at all of the cellphones on display. One that interested me is the new iPhone 7 Plus with its duel cameras.

For those who don't know the specs, the iPhone 7 Plus has two rear-facing cameras: one with an f/1.8 28mm equivalent focal length lens and another with an f/2.8 56mm equivalent focal length lens. Both cameras feature a tiny 12-megapixel Sony-made sensor.

I set the camera to "Noir" (which is a high-contrast black-and-white setting) and snapped an image of the store's front door using the 56mm lens. The phone was attached to the wall, so the subject options were limited. I was impressed with the results, so I texted the image to myself. I might just have to get this phone when it's time to upgrade. We'll see.

It's my understanding that the iPhone 7 Plus has options for RAW processing and even a "Portrait" mode that makes decent fake bokeh. I didn't see either option during the moment I had the phone in my hand, but I think it would be interesting to experiment with those options at some point in the future.

The one picture that I did take looks pretty good. It has nice sharpness, plenty of contrast and a good dynamic range. I applied no editing, the picture is a straight-out-of-the-camera JPEG. An 8" x 12" print wouldn't be any problem, but I don't think you'd want to go all that much larger than that.

You don't have to have a camera with you to capture pictures--that is, if you are at the phone store and you're testing their products. Take a picture and text it to yourself. This might even be an interesting project for someone. Remember, in the words of Chase Jarvis, "The best camera is the one that's with you."

Below are two massive crops from Store Hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment