Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Thanksgiving Point Tulip Festival At Ashton Gardens

Little Blooms, Big Blooms - Lehi, Utah
When you think of spring you might think of large fields of blossomed tulips. In some parts of the world this is a big thing. However, you probably don't think of Utah when you picture tulips. But each spring there is a Tulip Festival in Lehi, Utah, halfway between Salt Lake City and Provo.

Specifically, the place is Ashton Gardens at Thanksgiving Point. It's a popular place for weddings and family portraits. I had never been and had some free time, so I went, camera in hand.

I brought with me a Fujifilm X-E1. Mostly I used a Rokinon f/2 12mm lens, but for a handful of pictures I used an X-Fujinon f/3.5 135mm lens. I wanted dramatic photos, so I either went really wide or telephoto. You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out which images were captured using which lens.
Tulip Blossom Monochrome - Lehi, Utah
Ashton Gardens has an entrance fee and it's not cheap. I was a little surprised to have to pay so much to see some flowers, but I figured it would be worth it to see all the tulips in bloom.

Once inside I was underwhelmed by the tulips. I was expecting more, like fields of tulips, not rows here and there along the walkway. There were some spots that were somewhat impressive. But for a Tulip Festival, there weren't enough of the namesake flowers. There also wasn't much in the way of "festival" type things. Maybe I was there on the wrong day, but I thought the name was very misleading.

It was a rainy day, and I got sprinkled on here and there throughout the gardens. The weather was good, not too cool or warm, with a grey overcast sky. Considering that I was there midday, the clouds provided me good (diffused) lighting.
Monochrome Tulip & Wall - Lehi, Utah
The gardens themselves, putting aside the underwhelming tulip display, are actually pretty incredible. It took me nearly two hours to walk through it all (with frequent quick stops to snap pictures). There are a bunch of large man-made waterfalls that were unexpected and impressive. I understand why this is such a popular place for weddings and such!

There were also some whimsical displays, such as a bunch of umbrellas hanging from trees (which became convenient during a sprinkling of rain) and a thousand paper cranes. They've designed the whole thing in a fun and beautiful way.

I'm glad that I went to the Thanksgiving Point Tulip Festival at Ashton Gardens. Even though the entrance fee was steep and the tulips a bit disappointing, the experience made the negatives seem insignificant. Besides, I came away with a few good pictures.
Tulip & Wall - Lehi, Utah
Tulip Field - Lehi, Utah
Tulip Bloom - Lehi, Utah
Spring Garden - Lehi, Utah
Tulips In The Garden - Lehi, Utah
One Tulip Blossom - Lehi, Utah
Spring Blooms - Lehi, Utah
White Bloom - Lehi, Utah
Blue Bloom - Lehi, Utah
Daffodils Among Blue - Lehi, Utah
Tulips By The Creek - Lehi, Utah
Tulips - Lehi, Utah
Garden Colors - Lehi, Utah
Garden Blooms - Lehi, Utah
Ashton Gardens Blossom - Lehi, Utah
Secret Garden - Lehi, Utah
Pink Tulip Blossom - Lehi, Utah
Statue In The Garden - Lehi, Utah
Forest & Falls - Lehi, Utah
Bridge Over Double Falls - Lehi, Utah
Waterfall Into The Lake - Lehi, Utah
Rainy Day - Lehi, Utah
Floating Colorful Umbrellas - Lehi, Utah
Thousand Origami Cranes - Lehi, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment